Date and Place
Our next meeting will be at 12:15 pm on Thursday, November 16th, at the Cameron Park Country Club
Words of Wisdom by Mike Dugan; the Greeter will be Sandra LeBaugh; and TBD will be at the front desk
Cameron Park Rotarian Bob Clarke, who witnessed the attack on Pearl Harbor, will share personal stories from World War II at the Cameron Park Country Club.
Dick Franks introduced Jan Austin, who together with Dick attends the “senior” class at Cameron Park Robinson’s Taekwondo, and James Carswell’s, who is the school’s owner and is United World Taekwondo Association certified in teaching, coaching and judging various aspects of Taekwondo.
Dick spoke about the health benefits of regular exercise and the value of doing something you enjoy so you will continue to do it. Dick and Jan then demonstrated some Taekwondo techniques, starting with basics and moving into more advanced exercises. The demonstration ended with audience participation: learning to escape from wrist grabs.
Finally they showed off a few of their trophies, including James’ trophy as this year’s UWTA US National Taekwondo champion.
Submitted by Dick Franks
Words of Wisdom were by Tiffany Triveri.
Another New Member!
President Anne Schultz Eckert, invited Mike Dugan and Sandra LeBaugh to the front. Mike explained that Sandra was to be inducted into membership. Mike Collom, who died last week, was to be her sponsor and mentor. Mike Dugan has taken on that roll.
Members of Mike Collom’s family were that to take part in Sandra’s induction, including Joanne Clarke, Chris Reeg, Brent Collom, Stephanie Wagner, Regina DiCarlo, and Craig Collom.
Guests and Visitors:
• James Carwell and Jan Austin, who took part in the program (see above).
• Ian and Sally Marshall
• Members of Mike Collom’s family: Joanne Clarke, Chris Reeg, Brent Collom, Stephanie Wagner, Regina DiCarlo, and Craig Collom.
• Mike Dugan announced that the luncheon planned for December 14 will be a celebration of Mike Collom's life and that a very sumptuous meal will be served by our caterer Diane Wilkinson in honor of Mike. There will be low-key entertainment. All are invited submit pictures and share stories. Please bring family and friends. Bill Hughes will be taking reservations for the event beginning this week. This meeting will be at our usual time at the CSD building, not at the country club.
• Bill Hughes announced that on this Saturday, Veterans Day, there would be a special program at the Veteran's monument at 11:00 a.m.
• Dave Sargent reminded everyone to sign up for the Christmas Dinner and that letters for soliciting auction items from businesses were available from him after the meeting or electronically.
• Joe Ryan reminded the club of the enormous bike giveaway on December 12. More details to follow.
The Four Way Test of all the things we think, say or do:
1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it BUILD GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned
• Craig Collom contributed $100 to the Community Foundation Endowment Fund in honor of his dad, Mike.
• Bill Gallant had a cryptic $25 happy buck offering and then added $5 more for not having to tell what the $25 donation was for.
• Joe Ryan's son finished a movie for Sony Studios and that made Joe $20 happy.
• Gary Gall was $20 proud of his golf week in Cabo San Lucas.
• Mike Dugan contributed $25 for the showings of his Portuguese Water Dogs in two major European Dog shows. In Milan his dog's offspring was best of breed in 2015 and in 2017 a recent show in Germany an offspring won best male dog in the show.
• Bob Clarke was $10 happy to see Chuck LePere with a different Joanne.
• Chuck, not to be outdone, Contributed $10 for the privilege of sitting next to Joanne Clarke.
• Rich Greico was $20 happy for his birthday today.
• Jana Ellerman was $29 happy for her upcoming anniversary.
• Tiffany Triveri was $20 happy for her brother-in-law who just earned a promotion to E6 in the Navy.
Tom & Beverly Check
Mike & Cathy Dugan
Shiva & Jeff Frentzen
November 30, 2017 - Tiffany Triveri - Medicare 2018
December 7, 2017 - Annual Christmas Dinner and Auction at the Cameron Park Country Club at 5:30 p.m.
December 21, 2017 - Social get together with CP Rotarians
January 11, 2018 - Gary Campbell - Access Channel 2
January 25, 2018 - Brian Long - El Dorado Transit
February 8, 2018 - Annie Winter - Progress House
Words of Wisdom/Greeter Assignments
November 30, 2017 - Words of Wisdom by Roger Hassler; the Greeter will be Steve Long; and Bill Ettlich will be at the front desk
December 14, 2017 - Words of Wisdom by Bill Hughes; the Greeter will be Tiffany Triveri; and Mike Dugan will be at the front desk
January 4, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by TBA; the Greeter will be Ken Bryant; and TBA will be at the front desk
January 11, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by Chuck Le Pere; the Greeter will be Dave Sargent; and Janelle Horne will be at the front desk
January 18, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by Tom Elken; the Greeter will be Bob Clarke; and Dick Franks will be at the front desk
January 25, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by Ken Bryant; the Greeter will be Jim Webb; and TBA will be at the front desk
February 1, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by TBA; the Greeter will be Janelle Horne; and TBA will be at the front desk
February 8, 2018 - Words of Wisdom by TBA; the Greeter will be Tom Elken; and TBA will be at the front desk
DATES TO REMEMBER:
November 14 - Community Foundation meeting
December 2, 2017 - Cameron Park Rotary/Community Service District Christmas Tree Dedication and Lighting
December 5, 2017 - Monthly Board meeting: Bel Air meeting room at noon
December 7, 2017 - Annual Christmas Dinner and Auction at the Cameron Park Country Club - No Host Cocktails at 5:30 p.m., Dinner at 6:30 p.m.
The Gear Up crew: Laurie Edwards, Steve Long, Jim Buckley, Bill Hughes, Dave Sargent, Tiffany Triveri and Dick Franks, with backup provided by Vickie Christensen-McLain and Ben Young.
Links to the Needs Assessment Executive Report and the Rotary Needs Assessment Detail report are directly below.
The link to the Observatory 10th Anniversary Photos is posted below.